Hey y’all, my name is Alivia Quitugua, and I have been living in Ashland as a student/athlete here at SOU for the past three years! I have been studying to get my degree in communication, a certificate in marketing and e-commerce, as well as a minor in Spanish. Apart from my academic life, I work at the Student Recreation Center on campus, and I am a member of the SOU women’s soccer team.
I grew up in a family full of foodies, so naturally, I developed the same love for good eats. Living in Ashland so fitting because it has the most deliciously unique selection of restaurants. Unlike many chain-filled cities and towns, most Ashland restaurants are owned by locals who’ve built their businesses from the ground up. There is such a wide variety of places to try, so to help out, I created a list of some of the go-to places to visit while in town. I highly recommend each one of them as well as trying any others!
- Ruby’s – You can’t go here without trying one of their massive breakfast burritos that will surely keep you full for the rest of your day. Instagram: @rubysashland
- Zoey’s – Ashland’s favorite little ice cream shop with a variety of unique flavors you must try. Instagram: @zoeyscafeashland
- Northwest Pizza – A huge supporter of SOU as well as other local sports teams. You can get anything from your favorite pub food to a filling salad, to a delicious Italian meal. I personally recommend any of their wood oven pizzas or chicken wings. Instagram: @northwestpizza
- Sammich – You can’t ever go wrong with a well-made sandwich, and this place offers up the best ones around. They have the cutest outdoor aesthetic, and they smoke their own meat. Instagram: @sammichashland
- Happy Bowl – They serve up high-quality Asian comfort food at its finest that doesn’t break your budget. Most of the time, I get enough food to last multiple meals.
- Flip – A well-known, cute little shop that serves excellent food with great deals. It is your classic burger joint that puts a little more thought into the quality of their ingredients. Instagram: @flipashland
- Creekside – Your classic college town bar that can squash your pizza craving with their “slice of the day” deal. However, my personal favorite is their walnut pear salad that gives you the perfect sweet and savory combo. Instagram: @creeksidepizza
- Morning Glory – Everything about Morning Glory is beyond your average breakfast place. Of course, they serve up the classics, but it’d be a shame not to try one of their more unique plates. I’ve never ordered anything on their menu that didn’t leave me walking out the door in awe and nearing a food coma. Instagram: @morning_glory_ashland
- Breadboard – This cute, little place will leave you well-fed without putting a dent in your wallet. Their menu has more of your classic-style breakfast foods for the traditional breakfast lovers. Instagram: @breadboardrestaurant
- Greenleaf – An experience at Greenleaf always has me feeling classy, charming vibes. Their food is so well made and clean-cut with a similar aesthetic to a lovely tea party. Instagram: @greenleaf_restaurant
- Little Shop of Bagels – This place is perfect for a quick on-the-go breaky that will leave your taste buds fully satisfied. Their whipped cream cheese is to die for, especially their marionberry flavor paired with a cinnamon raisin bagel…simply delicious. Instagram: @littleshopofbagels
- Pie and Vine – The most charming Italian restaurant that is perfect for a night out. Whether it is girls’ night or a night out with your lover, it is the best place to wear that new dressy outfit you have wanted to wear as well as try the best pasta in town. You can’t go wrong with one of their specialty wood oven pizzas, either.
- Umami – This one goes out to all my fellow sushi lovers who aren’t afraid to pay the extra dollar for some quality Asian cuisine. Even if you aren’t a big sushi fan, there is a huge selection of meals that will make your tummy happier than ever.
- Brickroom – The romantic aesthetic of this second-story restaurant goes unmatched. They have a super unique menu, and they’re definitely a place you go to for the experience in its entirety. Instagram: @brickroomashland
- Louie’s – Located alongside the beautiful Lithia Park, Louie’s is a local favorite. From healthy bowls to juicy burgers, they have one of the largest varieties of dishes to choose from. I enjoy the high-end look it gives off but even better without the high-end prices. Instagram: @louiesofashland
Random Author Faves
- Mihama’s – A favorite known by locals for their massive poke bowls and various Asian-style plates. A quality Poke bowl is definitely a meal I could eat every day without ever getting bored.
- Raw – Anything you order from Raw will 100% have you feeling like your entire body is cleansed. I appreciate their sustainability efforts and love for the environment as well. Instagram: @nwraw
- La Casa del Pueblo – Your classic Mexican food joint that has, without a doubt, the best service in town. The people that work there always go the extra mile to make you feel like family, and the food is fantastic too!
COVID Policy note:
In relation to restaurants, I am aware that we are living within the guidelines of many COVID-19 safety protocols that may make trying these places tough. Please know that most of these amazing spots will be offering outdoor seating as well as to-go services. All of these places deserve and would really appreciate your support during these challenging times, so get out and support if you can!