Happy Earth Day, Raiders! Wishing a blissful day to all as we spend the day celebrating this stunning planet we call home! While today may be Earth Day, that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t spend each day appreciating the beautiful Earth in all of its entirety. The SRC staff couldn’t think of a better way to show how grateful we are than reciprocating some love back into a planet. It has given humankind more than we could ever want or need. We’ve never had to ask Earth to take as good of care of us as it does; therefore, it should never have to ask us to return the favor…so let’s talk sustainability efforts!
Here at the SRC, we maintain a number of sustainable efforts throughout the building to help the Earth obtain happiness and health. One of our biggest accomplishments as an establishment is being certified as a LEED Gold building (the fifth in existence at SOU). LEED stands for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, and it includes a set of rating systems for the design, construction, operation, and maintenance of green buildings. This system aims to help building owners and operators be environmentally responsible and use resources efficiently.
If that isn’t enough (which, of course, nothing ever will be when it comes to sustainability), here are all the other ways the SRC integrates our sustainability values into the building’s foundations.
- The SRC has a reflective white roof to reduce the urban heat island effect.
- Solar panel system on SRC and Boat Barn has generated 275.43 MWh of electricity and has saved the amount of CO2 equivalent to planting 3,222 trees.
- The building uses LED lamps that save energy and reduce the mercury levels found in CFL light bulbs.
- Lighting meets BUG (backlight-uplight-glare) requirements not to disturb the dark night skies or affect local wildlife.
- The project has installed sustainable wood, as recognized by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC), for over 50% of the total wood cost.
- Bike and skateboard racks promote alternative transportation and parking lots are equipped with electric vehicle charging.
- The building is cleaned with Green Seal labeled products, which preserves the indoor air quality of the building for occupants.
A full list of the SRC’s sustainability features can be found on our Sustainability and Accessibility webpage.
As you can see, the SRC holds the safety and health of our lovely Earth highly. We want nothing less than the best for the world that not only provides us with the ability to live but surrounds us with never-ending beauty and wonder. We hope you all have taken some moments out of your day to go out and take in all that is out there for us to appreciate and that you are now inspired to see what you can change up in your own daily lifestyle to help us make sure we can keep Earth as happy and healthy as it keeps us.
If you do feel that little spark of inspiration or you are searching for more sustainable habits to introduce to your routine, please take a look at our Environmental Wellness blog post for some tips and tricks! If you want to learn more about environmental efforts at SOU, check out Sustainability at SOU.